What to do or don’t after a Louisville Flooding?
Here is Louisville, KY we deal with a lot of situation where you house or business could end up flooding. These could be natural reasons such as a lot of rain over a few days and water just start coming into your home or The Ohio river just decided to flood your house. Some other reasons could be out of your hands like a sub-pump failure or a water leak in your water heater tank. But what are the do’s and don’ts after a flooding in Louisville. Very Simple follow our recommendations.
Safety First after a Louisville Flooding.
The First thing is you and the safety of your family. If you have water in your basement or any other part in your house, be aware that water and electricity aren’t friends. Make sure this water didn’t touch or got to any outlet or electrical receptacle. If it did, do not go in the water. Call a Professional.
Another important Safety Precaution is to avoid as much as you can the contact of your body with water. Water that runs through the ground is considered black water. In your yard, there a lot of contaminates and pesticides that has made those water very dangerous.
What To Do After Louisville Flooding
- Remove as much as you can the excess water by mopping and blotting. If you have a shop vacuum use it.
- Disconnect all your appliances from the electricity.
- Take some towels and wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items. This will Prevent some color transfer onto flooring.
- Pick or remove bed sheets that are wet.
- Look around for boxes that are wet and disposal them if they are not salvageable.
- Pick toys put them in boxes.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer. Turn fan to auto.
- Make a sign saying, “Do not Enter” Explain your kids to stay out.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting. You don’t want to permanent bleeding everywhere, plus has a damage Area Rug.
- Remove your valuable art objects to a safe and dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors. If possible box them.
- Remove all your decorative wall items.
What NOT To Do After Flooding Louisville.
- Don’t pretend you can take care of this situation with a shop vacuum from Homedepot. You need a professional helping you.
- Don’t hire or trust the First Person or company that shows up on your door. Do your research or call your insurance company and ask for a referral or any close friend.
- Don’t leave wet fabrics or clothing in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors. Take your books to a dry area.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances. Disconnect them.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
- Don’t turn any light switch if your walls are wet around them.
A flooding situation is a big stress that some people have to go through in their life. I hope you are not one of them but It’s always good to educate our self in case it ever happens. Is better to be on the side of the people who knows what to do and not the once who ask themselves what Am I going to do now.
Don’t forget if you have to go through a flooding situation in your Life, Rodriguez Cleaning Services is here to assist you and help you with any water damage Louisville you may have. Give us a call 502-365-6779, we are available to you 24 hours.